Sunday, February 8, 2015

Jan. 19

Remember when I used to write emails home and the year in the title line was 2013? That's weird.
This week was fabulous. I learned so much! (as always).
I went on exchanges with Sister Masima again (aka Oprah Winfrey as that who she reminds me of) and we stayed in Steamboat! The fun thing is that she doesn't know Spanish and neither do I! It was a leap of faith! We found 2 new Spanish-speaking investigators though! Who knows if they even know what our purpose is haha. Sister Masima is so happy and so determined. In fact, she was determined to learn Spanish in our 24 hours together. I just love her! We also taught Pamela together! I am so grateful that she is a patient, loving person who listens to my Spanish! My Spanish is becoming good enough that I can share in lessons more than just my testimony. It's pretty fun to experience the gift of tongues firsthand! 
I also went on exchanges with Sister Allison to Craig, America. Sister Allison and I are very similar in the way we view ourselves, the world, and others. She is training a new missionary right now and I hope I was able to help her see how great she is doing! Nothing will change if we are hard on ourselves. We had so much fun and saw miracles! New investigators, powerful lesson, and the best dinner with a member who used to be a chef at Olive Garden! Woot! We had an amazing lesson with Maria and Sister Prescott, who I know from when I served in Steamboat before and we did a little work in Craig. The spirit was so powerful as Sister Prescott shared how Ether 12:4 helps her to face each day with hope and positivity. The members make the gospel real for people. 
Pamela, who is going to be baptized on January 27th (her birthday), came to church yesterday! We had a church tour with her and her roommate Marilyn on Saturday night with a member, Sister Blake. They got so excited when we opened up the baptismal font, even giddy! And then we read the account of Christ's baptism from the Bible. The spirit was so powerful and they both started crying! Pamela is from Peru and her whole family are member but she just never got baptized. She is going to have her mom on skype when she is baptized so she can see it! 
Last night we had a fun adventure...we went to the sleepy bear trailer park and had 2 amazing lessons with complete families (mom, dad, kids) with a member present! This never happens! Sadly though when we came out of the last lesson, our car was gone! haha. Sis McRae was mildly panicky but I just laughed and forced her to take pictures in front of the towing sign. Francisco and Gaby drove us to pick up our car. They had left it on the truck and the man working there was not too impressed that he had to get it off. Thankfully though, we were in good spirits. I hope it lifted his day as he didn't seem to be enjoying his life. I am so thankful for such great members who serve us and help us when we need it! Recuerdas! 
We tried to have a district meeting this week but unfortunately the other Elders in our district got stranded in Baggs, Wyoming. So then we didn't. I love it being week 4 and we still haven't had one yet because of the mountains! 
We got to eat with one of my favorite families this week, the Sherrods. He was the bishop when I was here last night. And what a classic Steamboat bishop he was (crocs to church on sunday, bringing his pitbull to the broadcast of general conference). We had so many good laughs and ate way too much candy! And we didn't just have tacos, we had elk tacos! 
This scripture in 3 nephi 13 has really been helping me as of late: 

 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

 32 For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.

 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.
 
It's far too easy to be worried about the future. But I know in whom I should trust. And so I don't even need to worry about the future. All I can control is right now. And what I do each day to come unto Christ. This is a constant struggle for me but I am trying to learn how to rely on the Lord and trust in His promises. 
Church yesterday was so powerful. I love the sacrament and I love knowing that I can become as clean as I was at baptism every single week. It's so empowering. We had also had such a wonderful lesson on prayer in RS. I am so thankful for such a great ward! 
I also got word that Katherine, who I taught when I was in the 6th ward, got baptized yesterday! How exciting is that?! I love her so much and I am so thankful for the small role I was able to play. She is only 16 but I know that she will keep the commitments that she has made! 
For the first time in my mission, we actually made the cinnamon rolls for our investigators on Sunday morning. Usually it's just a nice idea that we have to get them to come to church. But we actually did it! Sadly, we sometimes forget how far away we live so we didn't have time to drop them off and ended up eating them all ourselves later in the day. But at least we made them this time! Progression is perfection! 
I am so thankful to be a representative of the Lord, to understand His plan more each day, and to apply it in my relationships and actions. I know that the message that we share is more than just a message. It is the way things really are. And I know that it is all possible because of Jesus Christ. Sometimes I forget to be grateful for all He has done for me. I am so grateful for a Saviour who will never forget me. And who will never forget anyone. Each decision we make is a decision to come unto Christ and for that I am grateful. 
I hope you all have a great week! 

Con mucho amor,

HNA T
Sometimes I force the sisters to take glamour shots of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment